Thursday, July 25, 2024

Week 56: Perspective - Pierce City, Missouri

 Hey everyone!


Another week! This email's coming out a little late for various reasons, so sorry about that. 

Here's three highlights and one long story:

1) Norma chose to be baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! She's amazing and the wonderful members of the Pierce City Branch have been there for her every step of the way. Now we're teaching her 21-year-old son Freddy!

2) Remember our friend who came to our church open house last week? Well, we had a lesson with her and a member family where we built a campfire and roasted s'mores on her little dairy farm in the country and it was just great. Good times.

3) Transfers! Guys, it's a crazy one. This time around, I'll be heading from out in the Missouri countryside straight to the Fayetteville YSA (young single adult congregation) to finish Elder Foster's training! I'm uber-super-duper excited. This is gonna be a complete 180 from the kind of missionary work I've done before and I'm gonna be 110% out of my comfort zone. Also, the Fayetteville YSA is the student ward for the University of Arkansas, the college where where Elder David A. Bednar taught as a business professor! 
GO HOGS 🐗

My new address is 1072 S Sports Fan Dr Apartment 102, Fayetteville, AR 72701.

Songs of the week:
"Meadowlarks" by Fleet Foxes
"Sunflower" by Vampire Weekend

Quote of the week: "Satan don't kick no dead dogs."


~


Okay. if you're low on time, feel free to stop here. I won't feel bad if you don't want to read an epistle this week. But, if you've got the time and you want to know what's really been on my mind lately, read on. 


~


Storytime:

Among others, two especially interesting things happened in the last two weeks. 

 First, a first-world tragedy. I went on exchanges with an Elder and past roommate who I used to really not get along with. Although we've since reconciled, I was really dreading this exchange and I just knew it was gonna be soooo awkward the whole way through. Fortunately, though, it turned out I was wrong. Reconnecting with him was actually an awesome opportunity to rebuild some bridges and we had a great day together. 

 Here's the kicker, though: as soon as we started talking about stuff back home, this dude totally spoiled my favorite TV show. 

 Man, I loved that series. Before my mission, I watched every episode multiple times, read every weekly comic release like clockwork, and feasted on every McDonald's promotional dipping sauce they dared to put on the menu. I was a supernerd, and some of you who know me well know that I absolutely cannot stand spoilers one bit. So, when one offhanded comment led to one fell swoop of horrifying realization, a small piece of my dweeb heart went up in flames.

"Wow, Elder Rigby, dramatic much?"

Yup. 

...

Onto exhibit number two! I share this with permission.

About two weeks ago, my sister Hazel went up to visit a friend's cabin in northern Arizona. In order to get there she would need to drive part of the three-hour trop along a precarious canyon road by herself, but she felt confident that she could make the trip alright. Hazel made it to the cabin and had a great time there for a few days, then hopped in the Jeep and started back home.

The first leg of the drive was pretty uneventful from what I heard, but when she reached the Salt River Canyon again, something was different. Although she felt no fear driving this road, she received a clear, strong impression that she needed to stop, turn the car around, and drive back to the cabin right that instant. So, though she was probably a little confused and a little embarrassed to see her friends again after she'd already left once, she listened and obeyed.

 Upon reaching the canyon again, this time in a convoy with her friends, the reason for her prompting became starkly clear: a massive collision had occured. Multiple cars, multiple semi trucks, multiple fatalities—just down the road from where she was told to stop, turn the car around, and drive back to the cabin. 
 
 My little sister has made promises with God and she lives them to the fullest. That day, the faithfulness and devotion with which she had walked the path of Christian discipleship enabled her to receive critically important spiritual guidance from He who is our loving Father in Heaven.

...

So, what do these two things have to do with each other?

By itself, the first experience was petty suffering. Nothing more, nothing less. It really did stink to have my favorite TV show spoiled, but God let it happen for a reason and that's that. 

 The second experience, though...the Lord used the second experience to grant me the gift of perspective. Through these two events, He taught with clarity what really really matters and what really doesn't. I consider it one of the great blessings of my mission that Christ chose to protect my sister rather than protecting my television. 

Romans 8:28:

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

Love,
Elder Rigby

Norma's Baptism



No comments:

Post a Comment