Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Week 63 - Fayetteville, Arkansas

 Hey everyone!


This week has been wild. We've had some high highs, some low lows, and plenty of in-between. This email's pretty long, but here are some of my thoughts:

High: Our friend Marli chose to be baptized! Getting to know her and her friend Tyson was awesome and seeing her testimony of Jesus Christ develop is such a privilege.

 Let me just tell ya, we saw some crazy opposition from the adversary in the hour leading up to her baptism. Just about everything that could have gone wrong in the hour leading up to her baptismal service went wrong, but the Lord always prevails and her service was powerful. She shared her testimony of Jesus Christ after receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and the Holy Spirit was there in force. 

Low: Full disclosure, this area has been pretty hard for me. I've really been humbled serving on such a big college campus and feeling my inadequacies has had me hurting a little. However, the I stand with the prophet Nephi in the very last verse of the very first chapter of the Book of Mormon: "But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance."

 I've quoted this verse before and I'll quote it again because it's real. The tender mercies of the Lord are everywhere. In a brief conversation I had with my mission president last week, he told me that sometimes, even when we work hard, follow the commandments, and look to the Lord, He still sees fit to call us to wander through the wilderness. Judging by the scriptures, it seems like He does it pretty often with His people. 

A question I felt to bring to the Lord was, "I believe in the Atonement of Jesus Christ, but how in the world am I supposed to apply it? How do I access the Lord's healing, strengthening power?" After some study and prayer, I was led to an answer in Mosiah 4:2:

And they had viewed themselves in their own carnal state, even less than the dust of the earth. And they all cried aloud with one voice, saying: O have mercy, and apply the atoning blood of Christ that we may receive forgiveness of our sins, and our hearts may be purified; for we believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who created heaven and earth, and all things; who shall come down among the children of men.

Thought: "Be Thou an Example of the Believers" by President Russell M. Nelson

We in the Church of Jesus Christ in the Latter Days believe that God has called his mouthpieces the prophets (Amos 3:7,) upon whom the Lord builds His Church (Ephesians 2:19-20.) Our current prophet, President Russell M. Nelson, happened to have his one-hundredth birthday two days ago! Here's a story he told that I love:

Many years ago two colleagues of mine—a nurse and her doctor husband—asked me why I lived the way I did. I answered, “Because I know the Book of Mormon is true.” I let them borrow my copy of the book, inviting them to read it. A week later they returned my book with a polite “thanks a lot.”

 I responded, “What do you mean, thanks a lot? That’s a totally inappropriate response for one who has read this book. You didn’t read it, did you! Please take it back and read it; then I would like my book back.”

 Admitting that they had only turned its pages, they accepted my invitation. When they returned, they said tearfully, “We have read the Book of Mormon. We know it is true! We want to know more.” They learned more, and it was my privilege to baptize both of them.

This could be you. Your friends could have their entire lives changed because of two things: one, you lived with Jesus Christ at the very center of your life, and two, you took one uncomfortable moment to insist that your loved ones find out why. I promise you it's worth the chance. 


Love,
Elder Rigby

Marli

No comments:

Post a Comment