Thursday, September 19, 2024

Week 64: The Anti-Scronk Initiative Inbox Oliver Rigby - Fayetteville, Arkansas

Phew, what a week.


♤ Feel like I gotta explain that title first so here's a random little factoid just for some worldbuilding. One of our members served his mission in Cleveland during COVID and doom-scrolling on Facebook became such a big problem throughout the mission that the Ohio missionaries renamed it "scronking" and began an inquisition that will forever go down in mission lore as "the Anti-Scronk Initiative." I just think the name sounds funny.

♡ I love being District Leader again! It's the best assignment ever. Every week, I get to call each companionship of missionaries in Fayetteville and the surrounding towns and check up on how they and their friends are doing and it's so fun to be close with them. Plus, every Monday I get a chance to lead out a district council meeting and plan some workshops with everyone. It makes me happy. 

◇ Holy cow, gameday was so intense. We spent like five hours walking around the stadium and campus inviting people to church and it was crazy. Here's a quick figure to put things in perspective: there are about 100,000 people in Fayetteville and the first UofA home game had about 70,000 attendees. 

Hm. 

Anyways, any streeting ideas or tips would be appreciated as always!

♧ All the missionaries in the Springdale zone took a trip to the temple today! Being able to go once every three months as a big group has become so special to me. If you have a temple near your home and you belong to the Church of Jesus Christ, I'd invite you to make an appointment for the temple right now. If you're not a member of the Church, I hope you're curious about how we connect with God and our families through temples! They're real neat. Check out this guided tour through the House of the Lord in Rome if you wanna see what it's like inside one:


~

Songs of the week:
- "Altalenanze" by Stefano Barone
- "Early Autumn" by Ryo Fukui
- The new hymns that got released this week! Tell me your favorite hymn and I'll try to listen to it.

Cool sermon: Seeing God’s Family through the Overview Lens by Sister Tamara W. Runia

~

Thought: Symbols of Christ

 Symbols are those things tied with ideas and emotions used to convey thoughts and feelings that can't be well-expressed with words. Said Elder Bruce R. McConkie:

It is wholesome and proper to look for similitudes of Christ everywhere and to use them repeatedly in keeping him and his laws uppermost in our minds.

 I flipped open my Bible earlier this week and landed on Revelation 22, the very last chapter of the New Testament, and was struck by how many symbols the Lord uses when declaring His divine mission to His disciple, John the Revelator. Which of these symbols of the Lord and His redeeming power is your favorite?

 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. 

 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. 

 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.


Love,
Elder Rigby

p.s. Sorry I haven't responded to many emails lately! My last two Wednesdays have been way busy. I'll do my best to get back to you next week.

p.p.s. Dogs make me happy 



No comments:

Post a Comment